King Charles III has been admitted to a London hospital for a procedure to treat an enlarged prostate, Buckingham Palace confirmed on Friday.
News images showed Charles arriving around 9 a.m. at the London Clinic, a private hospital, where his daughter-in-law Catherine, Princess of Wales, is recovering from abdominal surgery.
The palace announced the king’s pending treatment last week shortly after the news that Catherine, Prince William’s wife, had undergone surgery in London. Her office in Kensington Palace said she would remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days to recover.
The king’s recovery is expected to be much swifter, though the palace did not say how long he was expected to stay in the hospital. Charles, who was seen entering the hospital with his wife, Queen Camilla, visited Catherine before undergoing his own procedure, according to a palace official.
By announcing his elective prostate procedure in advance, the palace said, Charles, 75, hoped to encourage other men with similar symptoms to get checked.
“The king was this morning admitted to a London hospital for scheduled treatment,” the palace said in a statement. “His Majesty would like to thank all those who sent their good wishes over the past week, and is delighted to learn the diagnosis is having a positive impact on public health awareness.”