Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus get unlimited access to thousands of articles, videos and more with your free account!

Please enter a valid email address.

U.S. defense officials said U.S. and U.K. ships and warplanes carried out multiple strikes on Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen on Monday.

Multiple locations in Yemen experienced large explosions which were the result of the airstrikes.

A U.S. official tells Fox News one of the Houthi targets struck by U.S. and British munitions included Al Dailami Air Base along with missile launching sites and weapons storage facilities for ballistic missiles and drones.

This is the second joint U.S.-U.K. strikes from air and sea since Jan 11.

CENTCOM CONFIRMS US AIRSTRIKES ON HOUTHI ANTI-SHIP MISSILES NEAR RED SEA

F-18 fighter jet takes off

F-18 fighter jets from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower participated in air strikes on Houthi forces in Yemen on Jan. 22, 2023. (CENTCOM / X)

The strikes consisted of Tomahawk missiles fired from U.S. warships, as well as F-18 fighter jets from the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower aircraft carrier.

“Today, the militaries of the United States and United Kingdom, at the direction of their respective governments with support from Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands, conducted an additional round of proportionate and necessary strikes against 8 Houthi targets in Yemen in response to the Houthis’ continued attacks against international and commercial shipping as well as naval vessels transiting the Red Sea,” a joint statement from the U.S., U.K. and other countries stated.

The statement referred to a series of illegal, dangerous and destabilizing Houthi actions, including anti-ship ballistic missile and unmanned aerial system attacks that struck two U.S.-owned merchant vessels earlier this month.

US NAVY CONFIRMS IRAN’S INVOLVEMENT IN YEMEN HOUTHI REBEL SHIP ATTACKS

Houthi supporters protest US decision to redesignate terrorist group

Houthi supporters rally to denounce the U.S. labeling of Houthis as a ‘Specially Designated Global Terrorist’ group, in Sanaa, Yemen, on Friday, Jan. 19. (Reuters/Khaled Abdullah)

The “precision strikes” on Monday were intended to “disrupt and degrade” Houthi efforts to threaten global trade and the lives of mariners.

“Today’s strike specifically targeted a Houthi underground storage site and locations associated with the Houthis’ missile and air surveillance capabilities,” the statement read. “The Houthis’ now more than thirty attacks on international and commercial vessels since mid-November constitute an international challenge.

“Our aim remains to de-escalate tensions and restore stability in the Red Sea, but let us reiterate our warning to Houthi leadership: we will not hesitate to defend lives and the free flow of commerce in one of the world’s most critical waterways in the face of continued threats,” the joint statement continued.

Defense officials provided more information about the strikes on Monday evening, saying the mission was successful in removing “significant” Houthi capability.

US STRIKES HOUTHI MISSILE CACHE IN YEMEN, OFFICIALS CONFIRM

A plane taking off

In this image provided by the UK Ministry of Defence taken on Thursday Jan. 11, 2024 shows an RAF Typhoon aircraft taking off from RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus, for a mission to strike targets in Yemen. The U.S. and British militaries bombed more than a dozen sites used by the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen late on Thursday, in a massive retaliatory strike using warship- and submarine-launched Tomahawk missiles and fighter jets, U.S. officials said.  (Sgt Lee Goddard, UK Ministry of Defence via AP)

“We can tell you that we observed good impacts and effects at all eight locations. Assessing that we did, in fact, destroy missiles, unmanned aerial systems and weapon storage areas.”

Along with the F-18 super hornets from the USS Eisenhower, guided missile destroyers USS Mason, USS Philippine Sea and USS Gravely assisted with Tomahawk land attack missiles.

The U.K. also contributed fighter aircraft during the mission.

Pentagon officials estimate 25-30 munitions were dropped on Houthi targets, though assessments are ongoing.

The number of Houthi casualties is unknown, but the number is expected to be low, according to U.S. military officials, because the targets were “not intentionally selected for casualties. They were going after weapons systems.”

The Pentagon also said this was the first time the U.S. has struck an underground storage facility of this time in Yemen.

“The particular weapons storage facility was assessed to have more advanced conventional weaponry in it than in the first strike on the 11th,” a senior military official said, adding the facility was used to store missiles and unmanned systems.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP 

Still, the senior official stressed that the U.S. is selecting targets with no intent of expanding the conflict in the Middle East.

“We’re specifically avoiding escalation by selecting these locations and individual targets that will remove capability used in maritime attacks,” the official said. “We are not at this time expanding beyond that.”

There have been at least 151 attacks on U.S. forces in the region since Oct. 17.

source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Boy photographed playing in dust pile dies moments later: 'Tragic'

A 7-year-old boy in Brazil died moments after he played in a…

Army vet seeks to save Afghan commando stuck in Turkey, living in fear of Taliban

FIRST ON FOX: The U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan in August 2021 marked…

Russian Missile Hits Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine, Killing 3

Three people were killed and nine others were injured after a Russian…

Environmental campaigners vow to persist as tree-felling for coal-mining in Turkish woodlands concludes

Environmental campaigners in southwest Turkey are vowing to continue their fight to…